West Virginia Auto Accident Attorney Gets You Back on the Road
Advocating for your compensation when you have been in a car wreck
An auto accident can mean devastating injuries leaving you unable to work, move or function as you could before. At Kaufman & McPherson, PLLC, we have more than 30 years of experience fighting on behalf of auto accident victims and their families. Let us advise you so you can put the past behind you and move on with your life.
Identifying types of car wrecks
Although each accident has distinctive details, certain types of car and truck wrecks occur regularly. Some of the more common wrecks include:
- Rear end accidents
- Side-impact collisions
- Head on accidents
- Multi car pileups
- Intersection accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Uninsured/under-insured drivers
Causes of car wrecks in West Virginia
Despite national campaigns such as “click it or ticket” and statewide seat belt patrolling, West Virginia has only an 82.2% seat belt-usage rate. Although factors like long drive times and uneven terrain in West Virginia contribute to car accidents, the underlying causes of motor vehicle collisions in our state are similar to those everywhere, which include:
- Distracted driving: When texting, checking a GPS or conversations between passengers captures a driver’s attention, it only takes a second to miss something happening on the road.
- Impaired drivers: In 2012 29% of vehicle accidents included an impaired driver. A driver is considered impaired with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher.
- Aggressive driving: In 2012 42% of fatal accidents were speed related.
- Failure to follow rules of the road: Illegal passing, swerving, failure to yield and many “quick mistakes” can lead to devastating injuries.
- Lack of skill: Younger and older drivers may not handle a vehicle well in an emergency, leading to avoidable accidents.
Establishing fault in negligence cases
Establishing fault is a key to recovering damages. Insurance companies base compensation on the percentage of fault parties had in causing an accident. Under West Virginia law, damages that may be recovered in an auto accident often include:
Whether heading to trial or the negotiating table, Kaufman & McPherson, PLLC puts considerable preparation into developing a strong case. Depending on the circumstances, our firm may:
- Investigate the accident scene
- Reconstruct the accident
- Run an analysis of underlying causes
- Identify liable parties
This investigation lays the groundwork to put forth an effective case strategy, proving liability. We stay up to date on West Virginia traffic laws, statutes, and case laws that affect the outcome of car accident cases.
A strong reputation counts
As long-standing law firm we can often obtain a favorable settlement outside of court. Insurance companies may not want to risk going to trial because of high jury awards for pain and suffering. Knowing that an experienced trial lawyer is handling the case may provide incentive to negotiate a settlement.
Make a no-obligation call so you can get help after an car wreck
Let the experienced bridgeport and throughout West Virginia auto accident attorneys at Kaufman & McPherson, PLLC help you regain control of your life. We use over 30 years of experience to aggressively litigate on your behalf. We are consummate professionals who are attentive to the needs of our clients. We are devoted to providing world-class personal services to every client who walks through our door. To make an appointment call or contact us online.