Your First Steps after West Virginia Car Accidents
In 2003 alone, West Virginia car accidents resulted in almost 17,000 injuries and 400 fatalities. Even the shock of a relatively minor car accident can affect your ability to think clearly immediately after the incident. Yet, this is the very time that you must take action to address injuries and protect your interests. It is important to understand what to do and what not to do during this critical time.
What to do after a car accident in West Virginia
- Step 1 – call for help: Taking care of all injuries is the top priority after any accident. A call to 911 can ensure any serious injuries are addressed immediately, while also getting police to the scene to obtain the accident reports you need to pursue any type of claim or lawsuit. Then, if you or a passenger in your car can stay on the scene, you need to start collecting evidence
- Step 2 – collect information: You need contact and insurance information from the drivers of any other vehicles and you need contact information from any witnesses.
- Step 3 – collect evidence: When you have evidence, you have a better chance for full success in a West Virginia car accident lawsuit. Cell phone cameras can be your best friend in West Virginia car wrecks—you should photograph all involved vehicles, injuries, and even roadway conditions.
- Step 4 – retain all receipts: If you suffer a car accident injury in West Virginia, it is important to keep every single receipt for expenses relating to the injury. This includes doctor reports and receipts for treatment, prescription and OTC drug receipts, and the cost to buy or rent medical devices (such as crutches or bandages).
When to call car accident lawyers in West Virginia
When you are injured as the result of the negligence of someone else on the road, experienced West Virginia auto accident attorneys provide the help you need to protect your rights. As soon as possible after addressing all injuries, you should contact an attorney to seek the advice and support you need to proceed in the most appropriate manner with your case. The attorneys at Kaufman & McPherson, PLLC can help in many ways:
- Determine the best approach to collect all losses
- Provide skilled investigative resources and expert witnesses when needed to prove your case
- Negotiate full and fair settlements from insurance companies or opposing attorneys
- Zealously litigate your case in court when you need a jury decision to secure the rewards you deserve
Contact the firm today
Call or visit us for a free consultation to discuss your personal injury matter. We also offer home and hospital visits for those who are injured and cannot travel to us. In family law matters, you can obtain fee information by phone, or schedule a consultation. To obtain fee information or a consultation contact us today.